Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day Weddings

Valentine’s Day is obviously one of the most popular days to get married. This year the Chinese New Year also falls on Valentine’s Day. Ordinarily this would be considered a doubly “romantic” day for Chinese nuptials. But February 14th 2010 marks the start of the Chinese year of the tiger which is considered a “widow year” and is hence very unpopular for weddings. The Guardian ran an article last week about Chinese couples rushing to get married before the Chinese New Year. Apparently as many as 300 couples were gathered at one Beijing office within an hour of its opening.



What are your thoughts on getting married on Valentine’s Day? A lot of couples also choose to get engaged on February 14th. It’s such a cliché day that I would personally never want to get married or engaged on Valentine’s Day. I also wouldn’t want to get engaged on any other major holiday or my birthday. To each their own though.

How do you feel about getting engaged on a specific holiday? Would you like it or do you feel like it takes away from the uniqueness of your special day? Let me know!

12 comments:

  1. I think it's only appropriate to get engaged on a widely-celebrated holiday if you are on a romantic vacation or doing something unique. Otherwise, I think it's kind of tacky - particularly if it's Valentine's Day or Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I think it's lames. But I guess whatever makes anyone happy, right? It's just not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I'm opposed but I wouldn't make a huge effort - but I'm also the kind of person who doesn't put a lot of emphasis on dates as it is.

    p.s. Valentine's Day is kinda a weird day to get married because it's so EFFING COLD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HJ: good point re the cold. If you live on the East coast there are only about four months during which you can comfortably get married!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always thought getting engaged/married on a holiday was a bit of a copout on the guys part. It's easier for him to remember the date.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is cheesy, lame, and extremely unoriginal to be married or engaged on any holiday, but most of all Valentine’s Day.
    I would not want to share my wedding day with everyone else on the planet.
    =P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed! Also it isn't as fun to double up on holidays. I would like to enjoy all holidays in addition to my wedding and engagement days. Maybe I just like celebrating too much?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am all about the double dates, I have a terrible memory, I only know my brother's birthday cause it's the same day as mine...yikes So I'm all for someone proposing to me on a holiday, just so I don't seem like a cold bitch for forgetting every anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaha. that's really funny! I think a lot of guys probably enjoy the double dates for precisely that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wedding Girl- totally agree that we should celebrate as much as possible! Why waste a celebration by doubling up, especially a cute, romantic one like v-day and an anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. D: I know, I think we just like presents a lot.

    ReplyDelete