Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Bridal Beauty: NYFW edition

For a year and a half I worked in beauty at women’s magazines. During that time I drowned in lipstick, mascara, and pomade and I loved every minute of it! One of the things that I miss the most about beauty is gushing over the runway looks and having it count as work. Of course beauty is still my favorite part of Fashion Week, so I put together a bridal look based on some of my favorite fall 2010 hair and makeup looks.

First up is peach blush shown at Michael Kors.

I love how sweet and subtle this look is. It should be applied sparingly so that the bride looks less as though she is wearing peach blush and more like she has a pretty flush. Sweep the blush along your cheekbones for a more pronounced look.

Nars Orgasm Blush ($26, sephora.com), which has shimmery undertones, is the gold standard of peach blush. I am also a fan of Benefit Coralista ($28, sephora.com) and Chanel Blush Duo Tweed Effect in Tweed Coral ($45, neimanmarcus.com)


The second look that I loved was big, beautiful doe-eyes seen at 3.1 Phillip Lim.

I am typically a fan of lots of black eyeliner but for a bridal look, I like the idea of something softer and more timeless. This look is also extremely easy in terms of application.

You’ll need lots of mascara. I am a huge mascara girl so there are tons of brands that I love. My two favorites (for the moment anyway) are Amazing Cosmetics Mascara in Black ($22, sephora.com) and Dior DiorShow Iconic Mascara in Noir ($27, sephora.com). If you have straight lashes, you should curl them before applying the mascara. Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler ($19, sephora.com) is the best. If you have naturally curled eyelashes, like mine, then you can skip this step, the mascara will be dramatic enough.

Also apply a pencil eyeliner from the middle of the eye to the edge. I like Stila Kajal Eye Liner in Smokey Quartz ($18, sephora.com). This will give you a gentler, more workable look that is easier to smudge ever-so-slightly than a liquid or gel liner.

Finally since both of these makeup looks are so subtle, my pick for bridal hair is big and dramatic. I am in love with the retro, curly gorgeousness seen at Oscar de la Renta.

You’ll need volumizer, a curling iron (or old-school hot rollers) and lots of hairspray to achieve this look. Apply John Frieda Luxurious Volume Lavish Root Booster ($6, at all major drugstores and drugstore.com) to the roots of wet hair. When hair is dry, curl it using a curling iron. My favorite iron is the T3 Twirl ($119, sephora.com); it creates big, bouncy curls. Lastly you’ll want a flexible hold hairspray to keep the curl in tact while giving you movement. Try Nexxus Comb Thru Hairspray ($10, at walmart.com).

There you have it! A pretty, undone, romantic bridal beauty look.

What do you think? Do you like these trends? Do you use any of these products?

P.S. Is it just me or does that photo of Karlie Kloss (and her big curls) remind you of Olivia Newton-John’s Grease makeover? I think it’s the leather jacket that’s cinching it for me!

all images from style.com

4 comments:

  1. I'll definitely try the doe eyed look. I already have large eyes, but I enjoy taking it over the edge:) My fave product is Dior show mascara, no other mascara compares. I also love the peach blush, but how do you feel about bright,obvious blush on dark skin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love obvious blush in general and i really, really LOVE it on dark skin. I think dark skin can handle very bright colors, really beautifully.

    for example: http://fashionbombdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/chanel-iman-id.jpg

    i might not be the best authority on this though, i think it's ok for me to walk around looking like a clown. haha i love blush!

    Chanel is my fave young model and I am posting another beauty look soon, which features her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. actually when i saw that picture i immediately thought lauren bacall: http://www.gabbyattic3.com/truepix/lauren%20bacall.jpg

    ReplyDelete